Slider

Sunday, August 23, 2015

FOTD August 23, 2015: The calendar says it's summer, but my heart says it's fall



Base:
Primer MAC Prep + Prime Skin
Foundation Covergirl Ready Set Gorgeous in 105 Classic Ivory + L'Oreal True Match Lumi in W1-2
Concealer NYX HD Concealer in Porcelain

Eyes:
Brows e.l.f. Studio Brow kit in Medium
Primer Urban Decay Primer Potion
Shadows Matte light pink (inner 1/2 of lid) and mauve (outer half of lid) shades from the Coastal Scents Revealed 2 palette, Colourpop Sequin (outer 1/3 of lid), Colourpop Drift (outer corner and crease, outer 1/3 of lower lid), and Sultry from the balm Nude 'Tude palette (blended out above the crease)
Liner NYC liquid liner (tightline)
Mascara MUFE Smokey Extravaganza (top lashes), Covergirl Clump Crusher (bottom lashes)

Face:
Blush Three blushes from the Coastal Scents 10 Blush palette (in the top row, the two leftmost shades, in the bottom row, the rightmost shade)

Lips:
Lipstick Urban Decay Matte Revolution Lipsticks in Afterdark (applied first) and Bad Blood (applied on top)


Ever since starting grad school, the moment August rolls around I am ready to pack away my shorts and sandals and coral lipsticks and get ready for fall. Last year, the weather seemed to be in agreement with me and leaves were starting to fall in NYC by mid August. This year the weather is still resolutely summer, but my heart is already stuck on fall makeup.

I've been feeling anxious lately about some school/work things and so this afternoon I decided to play around with Colourpop Drift for the first time as a distraction. I can tell just from today that this is a shade I'm going to be loving this fall and winter. For the eyes, I started off by applying the light pink matte shade from the CS Revealed 2 palette all over my lids, with the light matte mauvey shade on the outer half of each lid. I then patted on Sequin, a gorgeous glittery rose-copper, with my finger on the outer half or third of each lid. On the outer corner of each eye, I patted on Drift with my pinky finger. I then use a Coastal Scents synthetic brush (BR-C-S51) to bring Drift up into the crease. I also used the same brush to bring Drift down along the outer 1/3 of my lower lashline. I've heard that the Colourpop shadows apply best with the fingers, and my experience so far using Sequin has confirmed this, but I actually thought that Drift applied quite well using the CS brush as well. Once I had blended this into the crease, I blended it out using Sultry from the balm's Nude 'Tude palette.

I decided I wanted to mimic the warm berry tones used in the eye shadow on my cheeks, so I used a couple of different Coastal Scents blushes to get a similar effect. I started by using a light peach shade (in the top row, second from the left-- I hate that they don't have names or numbers) and applied this along my cheek bones towards the apples of my cheeks. I then used a warm nude shade (bottom row, all the way on the right) and applied this just under my cheeks bones, almost like a contour. Finally, on the tops of my cheek bones, I applied a gorgeous mauvey shade (top row, leftmost) focusing only on the outsides of my face. I blended these lightly together with a fluffy kabuki brush. I like the effect a lot, although I think for a more monochromatic look the blush called Mellow Wine from Wet 'n' Wild would also look gorgeous. In the way of a mini review, I think the Coastal Scents are quite pigmented and come in a beautiful array of shades and finishes, but on my skin (which is not oily, although I will admit to resting my cheeks in my hands throughout the day) the blushes definitely do not last the day. I know that Coastal Scents also makes individual blushes called Forever Blush (or forever flush, or something like that)-- I'm not sure if these are the same formula or if they're longer lasting. TL;DR: The 10 pan blush palette is pretty for playing around with but doesn't hold up all day long.

Finally, I decided to use another new product I've been saving for fall-- the Urban Decay Matte Revolution lipstick in Afterdark. When I first put this on I was surprised by how purple it was-- it's a gorgeous color, but it didn't look quite right with the shadows. I layer the shade Bad Blood on top though and it become the Oxblood fall lipstick color of my dreams! They seriously make an amazing combo, if you happen to have both shades I highly recommend pairing them together.



I can't wait to wear this look again (outside of my apartment, even >>) when the weather becomes more appropriately fall! 


(P.S. My skin has been very sad lately thanks to hormones (and I somehow forgot to use moisturizer last night), sorry sorry.)









0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Designed by The Single Momoirs